Things to see

  1. The oak pulpit and sounding board – built in the days of grand oratory. Note also the sloping floor which gives the congregation a good view of the Minister.
  2. To the left of the pulpit, and in the vestry, are original water colours by Sarah and Jane Davis painted in the 19th Century. Some are of the old barn in the High Street where Unitarians used to worship. Sarah and Jane were the daughters of the Rev Timothy Davis – see memorial stone above.
  3. Photographs, in vestry, of the Alcester Unitarian Chapel taken just before its demolition in the early part of the 20th Century. The Latin memorial tablet in the vestry was brought from the Alcester Chapel.
  4. Plan of cemetery above vestry door.
  5. Some of the original leaded lights of the chapel were replaced with stained glass memorial windows to members of the congregation – Dr Anthony Martin, Surgeon, his wife Maria and their servant of 48 years Mary Dunn and the infant son of Alderman Geoffrey New. It is unusual for a dissenting meeting house to have such beautiful windows.
  6. The brass tablet above the font was installed in memory of Private Parry of the 42nd Royal Canadian Rifles, killed at Courcelette, September 15, 1916. (Robin Parry was the son of Dr Martin’s daughter who married the Rev Edward Parry.)
  7. At the back of the Chapel are fine oil paintings of the Rev. and Mrs Paul Cardale. The Rev. Cardale was at the High Street barn and then at Oat Street from 1733-1775. These portraits used to hang in the schoolrooms.
  8. The historian, writer and publisher, George May, and his wife and daughter are buried in the church yard – see memorial at end of wall to the left of the Chapel.
  9. The Victorian wash house by the schoolrooms is another facet of the fascinating history within this small corner of Evesham, once surrounded by small cottages and cobbled streets.
pulpitgeorge-mayburial